At about 6:15pm the vehicle was reported to be in Nevada on I-80 eastbound, east of Boomtown. A victim was also reported to be in the stolen vehicle. Several Troopers with Nevada State Police Highway Patrol responded to the call and attempted to locate the vehicle, which was described as a white Nissan Altima with Kentucky license plates. At approximately 6:38pm, Troopers located a vehicle matching that of the stolen vehicle on I-80 eastbound in the area of mile marker 44 in Fernley.
After confirming the license plate matched the reported stolen vehicle, the Troopers initiated a traffic stop. The driver failed to stop, increased his speed, and attempted to evade the Troopers. Soon after, the driver threw a black metallic object out of the vehicle and quickly accelerating to speeds between 110-120 mph. Troopers continued to pursue the vehicle eastbound for another 38 miles in light traffic.
In the area of mile marker 70 (Trinity Exit), Nevada State Police Dispatch was on the phone with the driver and convinced him to stop the vehicle. At approximately 6:57pm, the vehicle stopped on I-80 eastbound in the area of mile marker 82. Troopers immediately took both the driver and passenger into custody. Troopers determined that the passenger was a victim. The victim was provided with local counseling and a safe place to stay. A black handgun matching the description given by the victim, was retrieved in the area Troopers had reported seeing the driver throw out a black metallic object from the vehicle.
The driver, identified as Davon T. Robinson-Bowls, age 20 and a resident of Kansas City, Missouri, was arrested and booked at the Churchill County Jail on the following charges:
- Attempted Kidnapping – 1st Degree
- Possession Firearm Ex-felon
- Evade/Elude/Fail to Stop on Signal or Law Enforcement Officer
- Destroy/Concealing of Evidence
- Take/Poss Vehicle without Owners Consent
- Reckless Driving w/ Disregard to Safety of a Person or Property, 1st Offense
- Carrying Concealed Weapon
- Driving without a Valid Drivers License or Exp.
- False Statement to Obstruct Public Officer
- Attempt Possession SCH I, II C/S LT 14 grams, (drugs)1st or 2nd Offense
- Fugitive from Justice